If you have the zeal to help people in rural areas, visit Indian villages, and engage in various rural and community development activities, Rural Studies and Management could be a good match for you. In a developing nation such as India, there is a need for qualified professionals to work towards the development of villages and resolve issues faced by the underprivileged. You will work closely with the contemporary society and various government-aided rural institutions.
This career equips graduates to work in the field of rural management and research and prepares them to take measures and policies for empowering the rural part of the nation. Rural managers can work in the rural co-operative sector, agri-business enterprises, non-governmental organizations, etc.
For Bachelor Courses – Minimum educational eligibility of 10+2 from a recognized educational institution is required for applying the bachelor’s courses.
For Master Courses – Those who have passed the bachelor degree in relevant stream can apply for the master courses.
- Have a friendly personality
- Ability to handle masses
- Ability to handle pressure
- Leadership skills
- Good communication skills
- Adapt to various cultures
- Flexible to travel to rural regions
Courses in Rural Development & Management:
- Bachelor of Arts in Rural Development
- Bachelor of Rural Technology and Management
- Master of Arts in Rural Development
- MA in Rural Studies
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Rural Management
- Post Graduate Programme in Rural Management (PRM)
- PG Diploma in Rural Management
- M. Phil in Rural Development
- Ph. D in Rural Development
Top Institutes for Rural Studies
- National Institute of Rural Development (NIRD), Hyderabad
- Institute of Rural Management, Anand (IRMA)
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai
- The Gandhigram Rural Institute, Gujarat
- Mahatma Gandhi Department of Rural Studies
- Lok Bharti Lok Seva Mahavidyalaya
- Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Tamilnadu
- Gandhigram Rural University, Gandhigram, Tamilnadu
- Acharya Nagarjuna University, Andhra Pradesh
- IIT Kharagpur, IIT Mumbai, IIT Madras
- Xaviour Institute of Rural Management, Jaipur
- Dr. BR Ambedkar University Srikakulam, Andhra Pradesh
- Mahatma Gandhi Chitrkoot Gramodya Viswavidhyalaya, Madhya Pradesh
- Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati
- University of Lucknow
This career equips you to work in the field of rural management and research and prepares you to take measures and policies for empowering the rural part of the nation. As a rural manager, you can work in the rural co-operative sector, agri-business enterprises, non-governmental organizations, etc. The field of research and consulting will also be open to you, where you can work with organizations in their Human Resource Department to aid a better understanding of diversity requirements. You can contribute also to the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) department of companies.
Organisations that offer opportunities: UNICEF, UNDP, DFID, World Bank, UNESCO, Path International, CARE, CRY, USAID, Water Aid, Action Aid, UNIFEM, Children’s International, Save the Children, World Vision, JICA, Oxfam, Sight Savers international, WHO, SOS, Catholic Relief Services, Aga Khan Foundation, Plan International, Goal India, CCF, Handicap International, SEEDS, Red Cross Society etc.